The Product Manager will lead the research and development of technology solutions to improve our impact and operating efficiency.
As an example, we are increasingly interested in harnessing the power of mobile technology to better and more efficiently serve our farm families. With a distributed team of several thousand staff, and more than 450,000 clients, mobile technology not only has the potential to help drive more impact to huge numbers of rural farm families, but to make our operations more efficient and data-driven. In order to innovate on how technology can improve service delivery, we need an exceptional individual to lead on this work stream and build a strong support team. Example technology applications might include:
- Field staff performance management/enhancement – One Acre Fund has thousands of field staff. Governments have tens of thousands of extension agents serving farmers. We want to explore how we can harness mobile technology to drive improved performance of field staff in multiple countries through a variety of tools/applications.
- Mobile payments – In some markets, One Acre Fund already allows farmers to make payments from a “mobile wallet” over the mobile phone network. There is a huge opportunity to scale this work across our organization, and also to explore other mobile money innovations that enable all farm families to save and pay for impactful products.
- Distribution and collection of data – Most farmers have very little access to simple information that has the potential to significantly increase farm profitability (weather, prices, agronomic techniques, etc.). Mobile technology could allow us to more rapidly and efficiently disseminate that information to farmers across the region. We are also interested in streamlining data collection from the field to help us solve problems, make decisions, and improve overall impact and customer experience.
- Rapid prototyping and adaptation of existing field tools: As our field teams think of new potential technology applications, we need someone who can coordinate rapid prototyping and field testing of existing solutions, before more thorough roll-out.
The Product Manager does not need to be a software developer, but they should have a solid understanding of the software development process. We are seeking someone with a passion for leveraging technology to do good in the world, and the ability to lead/coordinate across teams and geographies. The role will involve the following responsibilities:
- Lead and coordinate technology trials and work streams – coordinate technology field trials across countries and departments; serve as liaison between the field teams designing and executing trials, and the developer(s) building software and/or prototypes to support the trials; gather requirements from the field program teams; communicate technical challenges/opportunities to a broad audience.
- Coordinate with software team – Work closely with the software team to help design and prioritize products and features, based on business unit requirements.
- Build capacity and network – build relationships with external service providers, and help to identify the best off the shelf products and services to support trials.
- Process design – build and manage systems and protocols for the deployment of mobile resources across the organization, including processes to manage hardware in a challenging, low-connectivity environment.
Career Growth and Development
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. Your manager and a global support team will commit significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new high-level roles opening up and opportunities in many functions.
We are seeking an exceptional professional with 5+ year(s) of work experience and ideally a demonstrated passion for international development. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Strong work experiences. Examples include a demanding professional work experience, or successful entrepreneurial experience. Experience in the developing world is strongly preferred, but not required.
- Experience with software development process (particularly agile development)
- Experience with mobile technology applications in the developing world is a plus
- Leadership experience at work, or outside of work, with a strong preference for candidates who have experience managing teams and individuals.
- Strong communication skills. This role will require coordination across multiple teams, and individuals and must be capable of communicating complex ideas to a broad audience and facilitate cooperation across teams and individuals.
- Top-performing academic background (include GPA on your resume)
- Humility. We are looking for passionate professionals who combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service to join our growing family of leaders.
- Language: English required
Preferred Start Date
Minimum 2 years commitment, full-time job
We offer a modest starting salary that affords a high quality of life in our areas of operation. This is a career-track role with performance-based raises and the ability to expand responsibilities over time.
Health insurance, immunizations, flights, housing.
Sponsor International Candidates
East Africans strongly encouraged to apply.