We help Uganda's farmers gain access to cash crop markets to dramatically increase their income.
Our Work in Uganda
One Acre Fund has been working with smallholder farmers in Uganda since 2016. Around 70% of Uganda’s population relies on agriculture for income, but making a decent wage from staple crops is difficult here. In 2021, we began to concentrate our efforts specifically on helping farmers diversify their harvests with cash crops, such as coffee, and build their resilience to climate change by encouraging activities like tree planting.
How We Serve Farmers
To reach as many farmers as possible, we serve them directly through our network of field officers who provide tailored training to help farmers get the most from their trees and coffee bushes. Our activities include:
- Training farmers with existing coffee bushes on the best cultivation practices, helping them to increase their yields. (While we have coffee plant seeds in development, we currently provide training only.)
- Working with coffee processors, exporters and buyers in Uganda to get farmers access to value-addition services and better prices. This includes a trial to help farmers with processing and market access.
- Testing other promising cash crop training programs, such as macadamia nuts, to help farmers further diversify their crops and build long-term resilience in the face of climate fluctuations.
- Providing hundreds of thousands of tree seedlings to farmers, along with the training needed to ensure at least a 75% plant survival rate.
- Building a strong network of partnerships with organizations like the National Forestry Association who are supporting our tree program with additional tree seedlings.
Prosperity in Uganda
There is enormous potential for farmers in Uganda to achieve success with trees and cash crops like coffee, with the proper training. One Acre Fund and our partners work with farmers to help turn potential into reality.
Yield increase per farmer from our coffee training program
Farmers served by our tree program
Tree seedlings distributed
Invest in Farmers
Farmers choose to work with One Acre Fund to improve their farms and their lives. A donation helps One Acre Fund serve more hard-working farm families in Uganda.
You might also like
Deep in rural Uganda, a wave of excitement grips the village of Busota. It is the eve of a long-awaited day.