Our work in Malawi
- Farmers served
- Tree nurseries
Since 2013, One Acre Fund has been working with Malawian farmers to help them improve their harvests and prosper.
One Acre Fund operates in two very distinct regions of Malawi, the densely-populated Southern region focused on staple crops, and the breadbasket Central region with its rich history of legume and cash crop farming.
Our vision is to serve all Malawian farmers so they can build a farm for the future: “munda wa makono.” This means that farmers have enough food and income today and at the same time are able to build security and resilience for the future.
How We Serve Farmers
To reach as many farmers as possible, we serve farmers directly through our network of field officers and also operate a seasonal network of shops in certain areas. We focus on:
- Improving the harvests farmers get from staple crops, like maize, to help with food security. We do this by providing quality farm products and training.
- Encouraging farmers to diversify their crop to help them expand their income options, improve nutrition, extend their growing season and improve the health of their soil.
- Providing farmers with access to tree seedlings to help protect their land from erosion, improve soil fertility and provide wind-breaks for vulnerable crops.
- Providing insurance that provides farmers with a safety net for severe crop loss due to extreme weather or pests.
- Developing innovative trials of larger tree packages of trees to help secure the longer term future for Malawian farmers and exploring opportunities like carbon sequestration.
Prosperity in Malawi
Impact starts with helping Malawian farmers grow more this season than they did the last. We can see our impact firsthand, in healthy fields and big harvests. But impact doesn’t end there.
Agriculture is passed down through generations, so we plan with farmers for the long term. We help farmers manage swings in weather and crop prices. We equip them to broaden their diets, enrich their soils, and build assets for their children.
Average yield increase for farmers in 2022
Incremental total maize production in 2022 due to One Acre Fund farmers
Trees distributed in 2022
Invest in Farmers
Farmers choose to work with One Acre Fund to improve their farms and their lives. A donation helps One Acre Fund serve more hard-working farm families in Malawi.
Earlier this week, southern Malawi was devastated by Cyclone Freddy, the longest and most energetic tropical storm ever recorded.
Only by equipping smallholder farmers with the tools they need to withstand the impacts of climate change can we achieve sustainable and equitable food systems.
A brief introduction to our pilot program in Malawi - started in 2013 with just 71 farmers.