About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies 1 million smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. Our 7,000+ team is drawn from diverse backgrounds and professions. With operations across six core countries in Africa, we make farmers more prosperous by providing quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural training to improve harvests. On average, our farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
To learn more about our work, take a look at our Why Work Here blog for more information.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Malawi GR Lead will manage strategic relationships with the Government; keep them informed of our work, scope opportunities for partnership, and ensure that the program is compliant with the relevant policies and regulations. They will also manage the work of 5 Local Government Assistants based in our districts of operation.
You will report to Government Relations Lead.
- Drive national-level strategy: Establish a network of senior government and political champions at parliamentary and cabinet levels to support One Acre Fund’s program and future expansion. Organize meetings and field visits for strategic outreach to national government and politicians to increase their fluency in our program and unlock opportunities.
- People management: Manage the activities of 5+ local government relations staff across multiple districts. Provide training on work planning, strategy, IT skill, and mentoring for the local government team.
- Compliance and Risk Management: Engage Lilongwe-based regulators, help fulfill compliance requirements, and complete other discrete government and external partner engagement tasks.
- Policy intelligence work: Build expertise on agricultural, NGO, and microfinance policy issues (i.e. subsidy programs, extension, market access, regional economic trade) that are relevant to OAF operations, and design strategies to respond to both opportunities and future risk.
- Manage government partnerships: Initiate and coordinate partnerships with the Government in the agriculture sector. These may include OAF’s participation in the universal subsidy, among others.
- Strategic communication: Be the main external communicator on behalf of One Acre Fund. Internally, communicate regularly and collaborate with the Malawi field and innovations teams and global government relations and policy teams.
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
- Across all roles, these are the general qualifications we look for. For this role specifically, you will have:
- A well-established network and working relationships with senior government officials, political leaders and technical officers. Experience engaging the government in the agriculture sector is an added advantage
- Work experience in stakeholder or government relations on behalf of non-governmental actors, with fluency in the Malawian Government and political structures.
- Strong educational background - a Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s added advantage. Degrees in public policy, political science, public administration, law, international development, or business preferred.
- Experience analyzing policies, legislation, and regulatory frameworks to produce meaningful, relevant briefing materials for senior management.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral), with high attention to detail.
- Experience dealing positively with challenges.
- Leadership experience at work, or outside of work, and enthusiasm for learning, and openness to feedback.
- Experience managing and driving results through teams, and working with colleagues from diverse backgrounds. Experience with remote management is desired.
- Experience working with INGOs and interest in international development work: This might include research bodies or other public bodies with a focus on agriculture and rural development in Africa.
- You will need to be disciplined, highly organized and work autonomously as your role involves remote working. We are looking for someone with a high level of professional maturity.
- Willingness to travel: In the first ~12 months, Your role will involve frequent travel (up to 50%) between Lilongwe, our HQ in Zomba and the districts where we operate. Some international travel may also be required.
- Language: Fluency in English and Chichewa required.
Preferred Start Date
Due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, start dates can vary significantly by role. We are adapting rapidly to Covid-19 and most of our team is now working remotely. Given the changing environment, we will appreciate your flexibility in confirming a start date.
Health insurance, housing, and comprehensive benefits
Sponsor International Candidates
No; Must have existing rights to work in Malawi.
We hire on a rolling basis which means that applications are reviewed and processed on a continuous basis until a hire is made.
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here (email@example.com), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.