About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. We provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural trainings to improve harvests. We measure our success by our ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
We are growing quickly. We currently serve more than 800,000 farm families in Eastern and Southern Africa, with more than 7,500 full-time staff, and we aim to serve 1 million farm families by 2020.
One Acre Fund is seeking an exceptional individual to work alongside the Managing Director (MD) of One Acre Fund US and grow into the current MD’s role over time, allowing the MD to elevate up. This role will step into coordinating many of One Acre Fund's top donor/partner relationships; originating material new resources for the organization; preparing for and helping lead governing board meetings; and supporting the organization's top US-based leaders in running the global support functions. At least 50% of this person’s role will focus on developing new partnerships/fundraising. This is a unique opportunity to help lead and gain an inside view on managing/governing one of the fastest-growing and most impactful global development organizations of our time.
The Deputy Managing Director role will be preferably based in New York or Philadelphia, sitting within our US/Europe, also known as “non-program countries” (NPC), team. One Acre Fund NPC serves as the resource engine for our field program – providing the talent, money, and opportunities that have enabled 30-40% year over year growth in the farm families we’ve reached and impact we’ve generated. One Acre Fund’s Managing Director coordinates the six global support functions that operate out of non-program countries, manages One Acre Fund’s global boards, manages a portfolio of critical donor and partner relationships, and represents One Acre Fund in a variety of external contexts. The Deputy Managing Director will develop their own donor portfolio, originating new relationships and managing complex existing grants, to fuel the organization’s growth. The Deputy Managing Director will also take on the MD’s current work managing One Acre Fund’s global governing board and UK governing board, and coordinating the six global support functions. The Deputy Managing Director will also serve represent One Acre Fund externally in the US and Europe.
The ideal candidate has a proven track record of leadership (including managing, growing, and governing) at a nonprofit/social enterprise; originating new, senior partner relationships (whether through fundraising, client development, or a similar function); ideally working with major philanthropists/philanthropic institutions in a strategic capacity (whether as a partner, grant-maker, or consultant); and successfully managing a large and varied scope in a fast-paced environment. This person also possesses a deep understanding of, experience in, and passion for global development and social sector work. The candidate should be a strong relationship-builder and humble to a fault, ready to work across several departments and manage multiple complex projects under tight deadlines. The Deputy Managing Director will also have the support of the Senior Analyst to the Managing Director. Responsibilities will include:
- Business/partner development support - major gifts (50%+): One Acre Fund fund-raised over $50 million in 2018, becoming one of just a few hundred nonprofits founded in the past few decades to achieve this milestone, and in doing so, fueled our field program to end chronic hunger for 800,000+ farm families. One Acre Fund’s unique model matches $1 of raised revenue with $3-4 of farmer revenue in our core program; fundraising also supports innovation and corporate expenses. The Deputy Managing Director will build their own pipeline of new donors/partners, raising $2M+ in new funding per year by their second year. As such, the Deputy Managing Director must have/develop non-overlapping, independent networks focused largely on high net worth individuals or philanthropic institutions in new sectors or geographies. They will also become the One Acre Fund point person on across many of our biggest and most complex donor relationships, both institutional and individual. The Deputy Managing Director must speak the language of business and be a consummate relationship- builder and networker.
- Board management: Working with the MD, Executive Director, and board chair, manage One Acre Fund’s global governing board, which is comprised of some of the most experienced and respected leaders in the private and social sector. The Deputy Managing Director will set strategic meeting agendas, oversee materials development, and manage board recruitment. Also, this position will lead our UK governing board, setting meeting agendas and facilitating meetings.
- External representation: Represent One Acre Fund externally, by presenting at conferences, attending important networking events, leading case study discussions, etc. The Deputy Managing Director will also produce powerful thought partnership pieces, such as writing blog posts and white papers for top publications.
- Strategy: Design and lead projects of the highest strategic importance to the non-program countries, and the growth and governance of the organization. Work with the Global Support General Partner Group and NPC Steering Committee to facilitate decisions and drive forward key initiatives. For example, in this role, the Deputy Managing Director might design and oversee implementation of strategies in areas like diversity and inclusion, leadership and retention programs, and resource allocation models.
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are seeking an exceptional professional with 7-15+ years of work experience and demonstrated experience in the social sector and international development. Candidates who fit most or all of the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Graduate degree in a relevant field; MBA or MPA/MPP preferred
- Management consulting experience
- Leadership of a social enterprise/nonprofit
- Experience working with governing boards
- Fundraising, client development, or a similar function that originates and manages senior partnerships
- Work with major philanthropists/philanthropic institutions in a strategic capacity (whether as a partner, grant-maker, or consultant)
- Flexibility – someone who is able to juggle multiple projects and change priorities as new projects arise.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, putting in the work required to manage a material scope.
- Values fit. We put a high premium on values. We want someone who has a true service orientation and humility – someone that puts our farmers before themselves.
- Language: English required.
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible
Commensurate with experience.
Health insurance, housing, and comprehensive benefits
Sponsor International Candidates
No; must have existing rights to work in the United States of America.
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here.