One Acre Fund empowers farmers to grow their way out of hunger by delivering only the highest quality agricultural inputs & life improving products on time every season. It’s the Global Sourcing team’s job to make those inputs readily available at the right price and quality when farmers need them.
The Global Sourcing team is responsible for effectively sourcing and delivering over $60M worth of inputs to One Acre Fund’s regional warehouses across 6 countries of operation. This involves developing a flexible sourcing strategy, navigating a complex & evolving regulatory environment, and developing tight quality controls to guarantee inputs make it from supplier to One Acre Fund warehouse at the best possible price & quality. it’s our job to represent the voices of our clients at the top of the value chain, bringing them the same purchasing power, state of art quality control mechanisms, and timely deliveries as a large scale agribusiness.
The sourcing team is made up of a few key arms working together to deliver goods and services One Acre Fund needs to operate. These are:
- Global purchasing team based primarily in Nairobi & Kigali responsible for sourcing all goods for sale directly to clients – includes fertilizer, solar, and seed as well as global logistics management for hard-to-get items. This team is full of international supply chain and negotiation experts;
- Local procurement teams embedded in each country of operation to manage all operational goods and services purchasing for each country program using a set of standardized, highly controlled processes and systems;
- Quality assurance management to ensure 100% of goods meet rigorous quality standards – includes seed sampling and testing through our seed lab, fertilizer loading supervision at ports, and investigating quality issues when reported by farmers.
Our Global Sourcing Director will lead a 50+ person team to deliver high quality, well-priced inputs to our clients while preparing our systems for scale. S/he will take ownership for developing world class leaders, maintaining execution excellence, and improving purchasing processes to drive increased efficiency and reduced waste across the sourcing team. Success in this role means driving organization-wide sustainability and scalability by ensuring we can effectively deliver the most impotent part of our program model at scale.
The overarching goals of this role are to:
- Continue building best-in-class global sourcing and country procurement functions through capacity building, leadership development, and easy-to-follow processes;
- Grow our sourcing team in an efficient and scalable manner to deliver a broader mix of products to more clients across a larger geography;
- Drive innovation across the sourcing and procurement team to mitigate risks and adapt to needs of a changing program model and regulatory environment;
- Eliminate waste from the value chain by streamlining processes, systems, and data management while improving service levels from top suppliers.
A successful candidate in this role will:
- Achieve near 100% on time in full deliveries across seasons and country programs;
- Save money for the organization by purchasing goods consistently below market rate and eliminating waste from the value chain;
- Build capacity and hire strong talent across the sourcing and procurement teams;
- Continuously seek buy-in from country clients to ensure sourcing systems & strategies are aligned with broader organization goals;
- Insulate clients from changing regulations and inconsistent supplier performance through risk mitigation strategies, strong supplier relationship management, and durable processes.
Responsibilities of the Global Sourcing Manager will include:
- Setting Vision and Strategy:
- Work with Supply Chain leadership to set and execute on long-term vision for global sourcing and local procurement teams
- Maintain a high-performing, motivated, and impactful team
- Build and maintain strong collaborative working relationships across country leadership and global department
- Identify and execute on key areas of strategic innovation across the sourcing team
- Design and implement innovative and impactful sourcing strategies that can scale across several countries in East Africa, Europe, North America and Asia, minimize waste, and maximize deliver accuracy
- Build Team: Day-to-day management of multiple manager-level staff with a total team size of around 10 management level staff and 40+ purchase execution staff spread across 6 countries
- Responsible for rapidly growing the careers of leaders across the sourcing team through weekly check-ins and workshops, ongoing development feedback, and bi-annual career reviews
- Responsible for developing the level below through capacity building and developing strong management skills in top level leaders
- Motivate the full team around One Acre Fund’s mission and ensure staff see the link between their work and the organization’s high level goals – ensure the team is effectively supporting its internal clients
- Identify strong talent pools for recruiting high quality supply chain staff
- Guiding execution excellence on key organizational initiatives:
- Drive toward 100% on time in full deliveries and drive down costs to the farmer through smart purchasing and international logistics efficiencies
- Prevent fraud and input loss by implementing a rock solid controls environment
- Mitigate risks across the supply chain by adapting sourcing procedures to be able to more nimbly respond to changing regulatory environments and program needs
- Stop quality issues from reaching farmers with improve quality controls throughout value
- Leading Innovation in Sourcing operations: Drive innovation across the global sourcing and local procurement teams by thinking creatively and outside the box. Example focus areas include:
- Identify and invest in long term, reliable supply partnerships to minimize price volatility and supply risk for high value goods
- Invest in data-driven forecasting and new warehousing and sourcing strategies to minimize excess inventory in regional warehouses without risking stock-outs during key seasonal deliveries
- Improve financing terms across domestic and international suppliers to minimize costs of trade credit
- Communication: Represent the sourcing team with internal clients and the organization with external stakeholders and suppliers
- Serve as the global voice for all procurement-related issues to country and organizational leadership
- Represent One Acre Fund with high level external suppliers and stakeholders – will include speaking at industry conferences and interacting with donors investing in supply chain operations
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are seeking exceptional candidates with 8-10+ years work experience as a general manager/ leader in a fast-growing organization, and a propensity for innovation. Prior operations, supply chain, consulting, engineering, manufacturing, or systems experience strongly preferred but not required, if the candidate has held a senior-level position at an innovative organization. Ultimately, we are looking for passionate professionals who combine strong leadership skills with patience and a humble approach to service.
Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Professional Skills:
- Passion for operations, building scalable and efficient systems and solving problems in a difficult operating environment
- Strong work ethic and ability to handle a demanding, high pressure work environment
- Ability to work independently and make decisions
- Strong sense of ethics, honesty, and integrity
- A passion for world class customer service
- Professional maturity and ability to stay calm under pressure
- Experience working in a multi-cultural workplace a plus
- Execution Skills:
- Strong data and analytical skills; advanced Excel a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong attention to detail – you can pick out a mistake in a contract from a mile away
- Strong quantitative reasoning skills – you can QC contracts, POs, and orders effectively without support
- Creativity and strong problem-solving skills
- Management Skills:
- Proven ability to set and meet targets
- Proven ability to manage teams and develop leaders; experience in remote management a plus
- Passion for capacity building and investing in others
- Humility and inclusive approach to decision making
- Academic Background:
- Related Master’s Degree is an asset, but not strictly required
- A willingness to commit to living in East Africa for at least two years – this is a long-term, career-track role
- Language: Fluent English required
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible
Commensurate with experience.
Health insurance, housing, annual flights and other quality of life benefits.
Sponsor International Candidates
Yes. East Africans are strongly encouraged to apply.