Go to: About Us
Extreme poverty is concentrated in one profession: farming. Most people living on $1 a day are farmers.
If all of the 50 million farm families in Sub-Saharan Africa could grow more on their current plots of land, they would be a powerful force against poverty and food insecurity in their communities.
Farming is truly the engine of Africa's development. When farmers have the opportunity to make their farming more productive, they build pathways to prosperity for millions of families.
On average, the farmers we directly serve double the size of their harvests—from the same plot of land—and produce a surplus for the first time. We envision a new reality in which all farmers:
- Harvest more from their staple food crops.
- Are protected against crop failures through crop insurance.
- Have access to higher-paying markets for their crops.
- Diversify the crops on their farm and build long-term assets.
Farmers we serve directly are more likely to have a steady supply of food all year. We imagine a future in which all farmers and their families:
- Never have to skip a meal from lack of food.
- Eat more diverse and nutritious foods.
- Have all their basic needs met.
The farmers we serve are helping to improve soil health. We picture a world in which all farmers have the option to:
- Plant trees to control erosion and capture carbon dioxide.
- Control soil pH and boost plant nutrients.
- Diversify their crops to increase soil fertility.
- Compost to minimize erosion.
From Vision to Reality
By getting proven tools into farmers' hands, One Acre Fund empowers our customers to create hundreds of millions of dollars in new farm profits each year. Learn more about the impact this has on the lives of farmers.