The Government Relations and Policy team works with governments at a local, national, and regional level to advocate on behalf of One Acre Fund clients. The team builds relationships with government officials to keep them informed about our work, ensure we comply with all laws related to our field work, and create opportunities to better serve our clients. The team also advocates across Africa, the United States, and Europe to improve policies that benefit smallholder farmers. The Global Director of Government Relations and Policy will lead the team as it expands into new countries and new policy landscapes. Responsibilities include:
- Managing a team of 50+ government relations staffers with local, national, and regional portfolios
- Mentoring individual staff members to become stronger leaders and more effective managers
- Setting the vision for government relations operations in Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Burundi, Uganda, Malawi, Zambia and all pilot countries
- Leading strategy for policy and advocacy projects across Africa, the United States and Europe
- Driving organizational risk management on key issues related to political and immigration trends in the countries where One Acre Fund operates
- Ensuring government relations staff provide clear analysis and support to One Acre Fund leadership on expansion planning, both in new and existing countries
- Ensuring all required licenses and registrations are secured for the complete portfolio of products offered in each country program, including in new fields like nutrition
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are seeking exceptional candidates with 8-10+ years work experience and a demonstrated passion for our mission. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- 8+ years experience working with governments on behalf of organizations or policy initiatives.
- Significant experience working in international development or related industries, ideally in work that touches on the private sector or social enterprises.
- Demonstrated experience in managing large, multi-country teams with varied professional development needs.
- Energy and flexibility. We are looking for candidates who show a passion for this work, and who thrive in fast-changing management and government environments.
- Strong relationship manager with experience in identifying and securing advocates across a number of African governments.
- Ability to work collaboratively across multiple country offices and departments (remote workplace experience preferred).
- Willingness to travel internationally for 8 to 10 weeks a year.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Languages: English required; Swahili or French desirable.
Preferred Start Date
East Africa capital city (with travel internationally required 8 to 10 weeks per year).
Full-time job; long-term commitment.
Commensurate with experience.
Health insurance, housing, annual flights, and other quality of life benefits.
Sponsor International Candidates
All expressions of interest will be strictly confidential.
African nationals strongly encouraged to apply.