One Acre Fund is looking for an exceptional individual based in the US to join our Business Development team. One Acre Fund aspires to one day be the world’s largest and most impactful nonprofit organization. To a large extent, the growth of One Acre Fund in the next ten years will hinge on our ability to mobilize resources and put them in service to rural farmers.
One Acre Fund will raise over $50 million in 2018, becoming one of just a few hundred non-profits founded in the past few decades to achieve this milestone, and in doing so, fuel our field program to end chronic hunger for at least 750,000 farm families with over 2.5 million children. One Acre Fund’s unique model matches $1 of raised revenue with $3-4 of farmer revenue in our core program; fundraising also supports innovation and corporate expenses.
The US Business Development Manager/Director role will take over several important donor relationships, mostly with six-figure institutional donors (foundations and corporations) as well as some individuals. Over time, the U.S. Manager/Director will also be expected to independently develop a pipeline of new partnership opportunities. We are seeking someone with excellent external communication skills, and who speaks the language of business. The candidate should be a highly organized team player, ready to work with our writing, finance, and compliance teams to manage new and existing grants. The ideal candidate has 5-12+ years of work experience, ideally with some experience in fundraising or business development in a global development context. Former consultants encouraged to apply.
Responsibilities will include:
- Partnerships building and management with over a dozen existing donors. Increasingly, our funding arrangements are strategic partnerships crafted around objectives that align with One Acre Fund’s long-term strategy. The US Manager will help craft the strategy around these funding agreements. For example, our grant from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation aims to create a long-term platform for agricultural research and innovations that can scale to impact hundreds of thousands of smallholder farm families.
- New lead development and relationship-building. Interact with some of the most thoughtful and forward-looking funders in the international development arena to grow One Acre Fund’s funding.
- Team development. If successful, the US Manager may be responsible for selecting, mentoring, and developing professionals under her/his management. We are looking for a humble leader who can help grow our business development team.
- A spokesperson for our farmers. One Acre Fund is increasingly contributing to global discussions around agricultural development, and the US Manager will serve as a spokesperson for the organization, attending and presenting at events like the Sankalp Forum and SoCap.
We are looking for someone with a sharp business mind primarily (e.g., former management consultant or similar professional), together with strong interpersonal skills and an abiding commitment to our values of humbly serving farmers.
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are seeking an exceptional professional with 5-12+ years of work experience and a demonstrated passion for our mission. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Speaks the language of business and has previous fundraising experience. Our donors are looking for someone with business fluency (communicates in financial sustainability, return on investment, impact per donor dollar, etc.).
- Strong existing networks in the philanthropic community preferred. Ideal candidate would be able to leverage past relationships to develop a strong pipeline of new partnerships.
- Management consulting or similar professional services experience preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of and experience in international development or the social sector more broadly.
- Willingness to travel.
- Language: English required.
Preferred Start Date
New York, NY
Commensurate with experience.
Sponsor International Candidates
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here.