About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. We provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural trainings to improve harvests. We measure our success by our ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
We are growing quickly. We currently serve more than 800,000 farm families in Eastern and Southern Africa, with more than 7,500 full-time staff, and we aim to serve 1 million farm families by 2020.
We are looking for an experienced safety, and security professional to meaningfully contribute to the One Acre Fund Health, Safety and Security Department. We believe that our team is our greatest asset. We also understand that our locations of work can at times pose heightened risks. Given this, we investing in the safety, security and well-being of our team, and so see this as role as absolutely critical to the success of the organisation.
The Safety and Security Specialist will be a key deputy to the Global Health, Safety and Security (HSS) Manager, and will work closely with the Global HSS team to develop HSS strategy and vision in One Acre Fund’s New and Growth Countries. You will collaboratively provide this strategy through simple, effective and scalable systems to proactively mitigate risk and improve our preparedness to keep our staff safe and healthy. You will also contribute to the response to any situations that do arise, such as staff injury in the field or collaborating with local authorities in the aftermath of security incidents
Specific responsibilities include:
- Further develop relationships with local security partners and independently expand network of information sources to update the security information gathering tracker
- Hold regular (weekly) check-ins with Global Health, Safety and Security to discuss findings and determine necessary security communications strategy
- Work with Global HSS to develop monthly security updates to country & department leadership
- Develop an understanding of the threshold for sending out ad-hoc security alerts to country staff, and can draft and send updates with moderate Global HSS involvement
- Implement safety and security and transport minimum standards at all office/residence locations in countries of responsibility
- Complete security assessment checklists and develop recommended risk mitigation measures with some guidance from Global HSS
- Be the primary responder to security incidents involving staff during office hours, and escalating incident response management to leadership
- Provide security-related on-boarding
- Project management of priority Corporate Operations department projects, managing a team to execute tasks of medium complexity - these include office services, visitor services, rural housing services and in-country transport & fleet management services
- Partner engagement with all points of contact to propel priority projects
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are seeking an exceptional professional with 2-3 years of work experience and ideally a demonstrated passion for our mission. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Strong work experiences. Examples include a demanding professional work experience, or successful entrepreneurial experience, e.g. starting a field program in a developing country, leading a conference, or starting a business
- Experience implementing security management strategies for organizations of similar size/scope to One Acre Fund, with responsibilities that cross international boundaries
- Experience in a role that requires action as a first respondent to security/medical incidents
- Experience working closely with local security authorities
- Strong educational background - a bachelor’s degree
- leadership experience at work, or outside of work, enthusiasm for learning, and openness to feedback
- Experience managing projects throughout a project lifecycle
- Ability to build teams and collaborate with colleagues from diverse backgrounds
- Language: English fluency required
- 2-3 years of work experience
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible
Commensurate with experience
Health insurance, paid time off
Sponsor International Candidates
No; Must have existing rights to work in Nigeria.
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here (firstname.lastname@example.org), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.