About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. We provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural trainings to improve harvests. We measure our success by our ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
We are growing quickly. We currently serve more than 800,000 farm families in Eastern and Southern Africa, with more than 7,500 full-time staff, and we aim to serve 1 million farm families by 2020.
One Acre Fund is looking for an exceptional, seasoned professional to join our global fundraising team, as the organization continues an exciting period of fast growth. One Acre Fund aspires to be the world’s largest and most impactful non-profit organization. To a large extent, the future growth of One Acre Fund in the next ten years will hinge on our ability to mobilize funding resources and put them in service to rural farmers.
One Acre Fund will raise over $80 million USD in 2019, becoming one of just a few hundred nonprofits founded in the past few decades to achieve this milestone, and in doing so, will fuel our field program to end chronic hunger for at least 900,000 farm families with over 3 million children. One Acre Fund’s unique model matches $1 of raised revenue with $3-4 of farmer revenue in our core program; fundraising also supports innovation and corporate expenses.
This role will report directly to the Head of Fundraising, and represents a senior leadership role on the 30-person team. This position will provide oversight of the day-to-day running of the fundraising department and strategic input on team structure, systems, and portfolio. Strong candidates must have excellent communication and management skills, be highly organized, and be capable of expertly handling a large, complex scope of people and funding projects.
This role will work with the Head of Fundraising and senior fundraisers on the team to pursue an $80M+ annual fundraising portfolio, made up of donors from across the public, institutional, and individual donor segments. One Acre Fund is fortunate to work with some of the world’s most innovative global funding partners, including the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the Global Innovation Fund, IKEA Foundation, Skoll Foundation, USAID-DIV, and DGIS, to name a few. Our diverse funding partners represent high stewardship responsibility, and this role must be able to collaborate across our writing, finance, and compliance teams to support responsible management of our dynamic portfolio.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
40% of your time:
- Day-to-day fundraising team oversight: Provide day-to-day oversight of key fundraising activities across the department, including:
- Prospecting: Work with team members to design and evaluate research projects - to analyze new geographies and markets, identify new donors, and unlock new network-building opportunities - to build our pipeline of future funding prospects.
- Proposal and report writing: Work with grant writing team to design compelling grant proposals and reports. While this role will not directly write grants, we are looking for a candidate with strong writing skills, and the proven ability to communicate complicated ideas in a clear, simple, and inspiring way.
- Donor meetings and presentations: Work with senior fundraisers to ensure thoughtful and strategic donor interactions, via meeting prep advice, talking point review, and presentation review.
- Portfolio analysis and strategy: Work with Head of Fundraising to evaluate and prioritize growing pipeline of new funding opportunities, and design strategies for pursuing.
20% of time: Fundraising Origination:
- Independently build a pipeline of fundraising opportunities, from foundations, governments, and individuals across the globe. Leverage this pipeline to steadily build own fundraising portfolio, and/or to open up funding opportunities for other senior fundraisers on the team. Directly contribute to the department’s annual fundraising goals.
20% of time: Team-Wide Initiatives
- Design and execute high-value team-wide initiatives in collaboration with the Head of Fundraising, including annual budgeting, team hiring, managing and reviewing team-wide systems/structures, and pushing forward key process innovations and improvements.
20% of time: Strategic Input
- At the Fundraising Team level - Design and manage the Fundraising department’s annual OKRs (Objectives and Key Results), working through and with other leaders on the team. Additionally, contribute to the long-term fundraising strategy in collaboration with the Head of Fundraising, the CEO, and senior fundraisers on the team.
- At the Org-Wide level - Work with senior leadership across the organization, on partnership design, resource allocation, and fundraising-field team collaboration.
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
The ideal candidate will have robust senior leadership experience, with 10+ years of relevant background in fundraising and people management. They should be able to demonstrate a track record of fundraising success and the ability to deliver through others.
Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Likely holds an undergraduate or graduate degree in economics, communications, business, and/or international development/policy subjects;
- Speaks the language of business and non-profits/social enterprises. Our donors are looking for someone with business fluency (can communicate financial sustainability, return on investment, impact per donor dollar, etc.).
- 10+ years of relevant background in fundraising/ business development and people and team management.
- Passion for and demonstrated experience in international development or the social sector more broadly.
- Familiarity with Salesforce or other CRMs/donor databases a plus.
- Values fit. We put a high premium on values. We want someone who has a true service orientation and humility – someone that puts our farmers before themselves.
- Strong interpersonal skills and people-orientation. We are seeking someone who wants to spend their day collaborating across a large team.
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible
Commensurate with experience
Minimum 2 years commitment, full-time job
Health insurance, paid time off
Sponsor International Candidates
No; Must have existing rights to work in East Africa.
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here (email@example.com), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.