About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. We provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural trainings to improve harvests. We measure our success by our ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
We are growing quickly. We currently serve more than 800,000 farm families in Eastern and Southern Africa, with more than 7,500 full-time staff, and we aim to serve 1 million farm families by 2020.
The Deputy Country Director - Operations will be an essential part of a leadership team that manages the largest program in One Acre Fund and one of the largest social enterprises in Africa. The Kenya program serves over 390,000 clients, manages over $43m in loans and over 3,000 staff. By 2030, we aim to transform every farming community in Kenya, and serve more than 1.5 million Kenyan farm families.
The Deputy Country Director - Operations will report to the Country Director and set the strategy for managing a 3,000 person workforce and running the largest rural delivery network in Kenya. You will directly manage over 225 staff and two essential divisions: People and Systems.
- Guide country level strategy for our largest country operations, together with the Country Director and two other Deputy Country Directors.
- Be a member of the Kenya Leadership Team, leading country-wide strategy and important projects alongside this group of senior leaders.
- Manage the People Division Lead. This is a 75+ person division consisting of two major departments; Human Resources and Corporate Operations.
- Work with the People Director to improve our people support to over 3,000 employees in the Kenya program through making systematic upgrades to our HR systems and corporate operations processes and services
- Take a lead role in advancing all of the organisations Diversity and Inclusion projects in Kenya - a top priority for all senior leadership.
- Manage the Systems Division Lead. This is a 150+ person division consisting of three major departments; Logistics, Business Operations and Procurement.
- Work with the Systems Director to evolve the programs systems to support new innovations and program changes, incorporate new technology and build foundations to handle 25%+ annual growth in program size
- Work with a range of global systems teams to ensure bi-directional feedback between them and Kenya’s systems teams to align goals and co-ordinate major systems improvements
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are looking for candidates with 12+ years work experience as a general manager/leader in a fast-growing organization, and a propensity for innovation. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- 12+ years of experience in senior roles successfully managing large teams or companies of 250+ staff that required significant management and operational experience.
- C-suite experience such as COO, CTO or CSO in medium-large companies is preferred.
- A passion for providing hands-on execution guidance across systems and people-focused divisions
- Humility. We are looking for passionate professionals who combine leadership with good humor, patience and a humble approach to service and interested in joining our family of leaders.
- A passion for One Acre Fund’s program and the desire to advance our mission of empowering hard-working farmers
- At a minimum, a Bachelor’s degree is required for this position.
- Language: English required
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible.
Commensurate with experience.
Initially based in Kakamega, but with significant location flexibility available over time (Nairobi or in East Africa)
Health insurance, housing, and comprehensive benefits
Sponsor International Candidates
No; Kenyans are strongly encouraged to apply.
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here.