About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms more productive. We provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural training to improve harvests. We measure our success by our ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
We are growing quickly. We serve more than 800,000 farm families in Eastern and Southern Africa.
The Product Development Specialist will work as an agricultural product manager, where the eventual ‘product’ could include products like new technologies or inputs, or services like training that help One Acre Fund clients unlock higher impact. You will research, test, market and troubleshoot new products and services. You will report to the Field Operations Lead.
Specific responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Agricultural Strategy & Training: support Field Operations with creating, improving, testing and implementing agricultural training.
- Provide additional support on crop health monitoring and troubleshooting (e.g., germination, pest outbreaks, etc).
- Research and Recommend: Using a few essential parameters, research a handful of crop and non-crop products to determine program fit and impact potential.
- Recommend products for the country program to consider including in OAF’s package for clients.
- New Product Development: for all products, design a farmer-friendly, marketable product.
- Design multiple configurations of a crop or non-crop product, with an eye on cost, farmer adoption potential and impact. Test product through farmer feedback to inform final recommendation.
- New Product Management: For all products included in package, manage scaling from concept to field. This would include:
- Sourcing, quality checking, marketing, troubleshooting and customer care support for new products; and iterating and improving strategy to boost adoption.
Career Growth and Development
We have a culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You can shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are looking for an exceptional professional with 1+ years of work experience and a passion for our mission. Specific qualifications include, but are not limited to:
- Conversant with basic crop science, soil science, agronomy, etc. A degree in agronomy, crop science, soil science or a related field is preferred but not necessary.
- 1+ years experience with an agribusiness or practical farmer-facing research.
- Experience conducting desk and field research, especially for agricultural products.
- Can incorporate various data points and make a data-driven recommendation.
- A hunger to learn and incorporate feedback, including farmer feedback, into your work and ideas.
- Able to build teams and collaborate with colleagues from diverse backgrounds.
- Language: English required, Chichewa preferred.
Candidates with the following attributes would be preferred:
- Background in agribusiness.
- Experience testing new ideas in rural settings, for eg. via surveys or FGDs.
- Experience creating needs-based solutions and products for rural consumers.
Preferred Start Date
1 December 2019
Commensurate with experience
Health insurance, paid time off
Sponsor International Candidates
No; Must have existing rights to work in Malawi.
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here.
We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to having a diverse workforce.