About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. We provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural trainings to improve harvests. We measure our success by our ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
We are growing quickly. We currently serve more than 800,000 farm families in Eastern and Southern Africa, with more than 7,500 full-time staff, and we aim to serve 1 million farm families by 2020.
The Impact Specialist will broadly work as a product manager, where the eventual ‘product’ could include new trainings, technologies, physical products or services that help One Acre Fund clients unlock higher impact. The position will be responsible for researching, testing, marketing and troubleshooting new products and services.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Agricultural Strategy & Training: support Field Operations with creating, improving, testing and implementing agricultural trainings, including planting, top dress, crop management and harvesting trainings for all crops.
- Provide additional support on crop health monitoring and troubleshooting (for example, germination, pest outbreaks, etc).
- Research & Recommend: Using a few key parameters, research a handful of crop and non-crop products to determine program fit and impact potential.
- Recommend products for the Steering Committee/Field Operations to consider including in OAF’s package for clients.
- New Product Development: for all products to be considered for package, design a farmer-friendly, marketable product.
- Design multiple configurations of a crop or non-crop product, with an eye on cost, farmer adoption potential and impact.
- Test product in the field through short surveys or focus groups and recommend a final product to be included in package.
- New Product Management: For all products included in package, manage scaling from concept to field.
- Support sourcing and quality checking for new products.
- Support marketing material creation and implementation of a marketing & adoption strategy.
- Provide troubleshooting and customer care support for new products, and iterate and improve in oncoming seasons.
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are seeking an exceptional professional with 1-3 years of work experience and a demonstrated passion for our mission.Specific qualifications include, but are not limited to:
- Conversant with basic crop science, soil science, agronomy, etc. A degree in agronomy, crop science, soil science or a related field is strongly preferred but not necessary.
- 1-3 years experience with an agribusiness, in agricultural extension or practical farmer-facing research.
- Experience with conducting desk and field research, especially for agricultural products.
- Conversant with Microsoft Office suite (word, excel, powerpoint, etc).
- Adept at incorporating various data points and making a data-driven recommendation.
- Ability to communicate ideas and analyses succinctly and clearly.
- A hunger to learn and incorporate feedback, including farmer feedback, into your work and ideas.
- Ability to build teams and collaborate with colleagues from diverse backgrounds.
- Language: English required, Chichewa preferred.
Candidates with the following attributes would be strongly preferred:
- Experience with farmer-level extension work.
- Experience with testing new trainings, products or ideas in rural settings, for eg. via surveys or FGDs.
- Experience with creating needs-based solutions for rural consumers, clients or beneficiaries.
Preferred Start Date
1 October 2019
Commensurate with experience
Health insurance, paid time off
Sponsor International Candidates
No; Must have existing rights to work in Malawi.
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here.