About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. We provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural trainings to improve harvests. We measure our success by our ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
We are growing quickly. We currently serve more than 800,000 farm families in Eastern and Southern Africa, with more than 7,500 full-time staff, and we aim to serve 1 million farm families by 2020.
One Acre Fund Kenya is one of our largest and fastest-growing countries of operation. Our vision for 2030 is to transform every farming community in Kenya by delivering sustained food security and pathways to prosperity. The Program Design department’s vision is to provide strategic direction and annual planning for core activities, driving towards the achievement of the Kenya program's ambitious scale and impact goals. The Program Design Expansion Manager is responsible for managing people on the team and overseeing the Kenya program’s expansion strategy. Kenya expansion is a particularly “mission-critical” part of One Acre Fund’s global portfolio of work; this person is responsible for making the decisions that impact OAF’s overarching scale goals.
- The Program Design team consists of 21 Headquarter-based staff members, and another 80 field staff members operating in our expansion pilot. The Program Design Expansion Manager is responsible for directly managing the Mt. Kenya Associate and Expansion Specialist, and indirectly managing a pilot that currently serves farmers in the Mt. Kenya region.
- Specific tasks include facilitating impactful weekly check-ins with all reports, holding bi-annual coffee chats with all members of the team in their reporting lines, conducting bi-annual performance reviews for all staffers, and supporting on the creation and tracking of development areas through tools like development plans and promotion plans.
- The Program Design Expansion Manager is responsible for ensuring that all team members in their reporting line receive the support they need to complete their project goals, while simultaneously supporting their professional development and providing them with stretch opportunities to grow their careers at One Acre Fund. The Manager is also responsible for supporting the Director in setting and maintaining a healthy team culture, fostering a culture of personal sustainability, integrity, and care for each other.
The Expansion Manager is responsible for creating the Kenya program’s annual expansion strategy, executing that strategy, and overseeing the Mt. Kenya pilot region. Expansion projects include:
- Creating Yearly Expansion Strategy: reviewing previous year’s performance and determining opportunities for the program’s expansion for the following season; conduct quantitative and qualitative field-based research to guide the program to make data-driven expansion decisions; create the annual expansion strategy and present to country leadership, the wider Kenya-program team and global stakeholders; identify additional research needs to enable continued expansion in Kenya.
- Implementing Annual Expansion Process: create the yearly expansion calendar for the Kenya program and align with key teams to follow the calendar; translate the annual expansion strategy into results in the field; lead a working group to align key stakeholders on expansion strategy and expectations for implementation; contingency plan to address any challenges to our expansion strategy.
- Mt. Kenya Pilot Management: work through the Mt. Kenya Program Associate to support on week-to-week field execution; monitor key performance indicators around impact, enrollment and repayment and work with the Program Associate to solve challenges as necessary; work through the Program Associate to prioritize targeted investments in the field team’s professional development in order to ensure the Mt. Kenya region can scale quickly.
- Strategy & Vision
- Own Kenya’s 5 year growth strategy, regularly updating and innovating on it through continued expansion work. Be able to effectively communicate said strategy to leadership and wider Kenya team.
- Own ideation and long-term strategy for driving programmatic changes in order to enable the Kenya program to achieve their 2030 vision of “transforming every farming community in Kenya”
- Contribute to setting Program Design Annual Objective Key Results (OKR’s}, and oversee the execution and follow up of all OKR’s under expansion
- Measure progress against goals, regularly report on progress, and hold team accountable to prioritizing and delivering results in key strategic areas.
- Work with global finance and Kenya leadership to update long term scale targets based on current expansion strategy work.
- Proactively and effectively communicate up to country leadership, down to departments, and across to other sets of leaders plans, goals and progress for expansion work.
- Ensure the expansion team is collaborating effectively with individuals, teams and divisions outside of the department. Set-up appropriate systems of communication to keep everyone moving together, particularly through the working group.
- Participate in global Field Operations (FOPs) work and collaborate with other country programs.
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are looking for an exceptional professional with 5+ years of relevant work experience and ideally a demonstrated passion for our mission. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- 2+ years of managing a team
- Strong educational background; Bachelors Degree required
- Prior people management experience required
- Project management: Ability to set, monitor and meet project goals
- Results oriented: Sets goals and takes ownership of driving towards them
- Ability to use data to create strategy and make decisions
- Willing to give and receive feedback openly
- Ability to invest in team in order to support their growth and professional development
- Ability to collaborate effectively across teams and with colleagues from diverse backgrounds
- Language: English required, knowledge of Swahili useful
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible
65% Kakamega, 35% Nairobi or location of your choice
Commensurate with experience
Health insurance, housing, and comprehensive benefits
Sponsor International Candidates
No; Must have existing rights to work in Kenya.
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here.