The Kenya Business Operations Department is tasked with enrolling 450,000 clients during the year, processing their deliveries to be on-time and accurate, ensuring $40 million portfolio is kept up to date, resolving over 300,000 customer tickets, and generally ensuring our custom customer relationship management software is accurate.
The Business Operations Program Manager’s responsibilities would include, but are not limited to:
Strategy & Vision
- Together with your manager, set and steer the course for the 5 year vision.
- Run annual ‘Objectives and Key Results’ goals and planning processes for Business Operations department. Ensure annual plans align with the country program’s long-term vision and targets.
- Measure progress against goals, regularly report on progress, and hold team accountable to delivering results in key strategic areas.
- Drive Business Operations to scale our services to more clients efficiently, while maintaining a high level of service.
- Collaborate with Product Managers, developers and country leadership to update and improve on the cross-country organizational data platform.
- Ensure that everything the Business Operations department does is executed to world-class standards.
- Collaboratively set department KPI’s and metrics to measure success.
- Regularly solicit feedback from the wider team and other departments.
- Proactively and effectively represent Business Operations implications in country-wide decision making.
- Set agenda and facilitate regular Business Operations meetings, engaging departments with one another’s work, assuring that everyone is moving together reinforcing efforts.
- Ensure Business Operations sub-departments are collaborating effectively with individuals, teams and divisions outside of the Business
- Operations department. Set-up appropriate systems of communication to keep everyone moving together.
- Participate in Global Business Operations work and collaborate with other country programs.
Identify any new roles, sub-departments, or departmental re-organizations that need to be implemented.
- Identify and prioritize operations improvement projects to allow us to scale to more farmers, more efficiently, and offer a better service.
- Lead feedback sessions on a number of program and product innovation trials that Business Operations supports. Ensure Business Operations is clear on scale recommendation to these trials.
People Management & Training
- Serve as direct management line to 3 leadership-level staff, who oversee the 6 sub-departments. Together over 60 full time staff are split across the following sub-departments: Case Investigations, Client Data Management, Collections, Customer Engagement, Orders & Distribution, and Product Support & Execution.
- Management will include oversight, weekly reporting meetings, performance reviews and development, strategic direction and support.
- Ensure that all staff receive effective mentorship to promote career growth.
- Work with the Training Department to run major staff training across entire team.
- Personally lead training sessions for senior staff members.
- Lead and support hiring of high-level staff members within Business Operations
Team & Culture
- Within your department, ensure all staff members are connected to the mission and feel motivated to serve our farmers each day
- Serve as a leader and role model to the Kenya team at large. Embody One Acre Fund’s core values: Humble Service, Hard Work, Continual Growth, Family of Leaders, Dream Big, and Integrity.
- Monitor team morale, plan and mitigate any changes that could create disharmony amongst staff
- Implement best practices and initiatives that contribute to a more diverse and inclusive work environment.
- Make Business Operations a great place to work.
Spending and Budgeting
- Participate in annual budgeting process; anticipate spending for the year based on annual plans.
- Regularly review monthly actual spending against planned spending. Keep all sub- departments operating to maximum efficiency and within planned budget.
- Identify ways for the department to become more efficient and find ways to offset unexpected costs.
External Stakeholder Engagement
- Meet with and maintain relationships with key external partners of One Acre Fund. This could include Insurance providers, donors to One Acre Fund, or senior leaders of Telecom companies
- Research and understand key best practices in functional work areas at other organizations.
- Think strategically about potential partnerships and learning opportunities from other organizations.
- Contribute to recruiting efforts to support putting the best possible candidates into the hiring pipeline.
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are seeking exceptional professionals with 4+ years of work experience, and a demonstrated long-term passion for international development. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Strong work experiences. Examples include a demanding professional work experience, or successful entrepreneurial experience (e.g. starting a field program in a developing country, leading a conference, starting a business, solid Peace Corps accomplishments).
- Strong educational background; Masters Degree preferred
- Project management: Ability to set, monitor and meet project goals
- Leadership experience at work.
- Prior People Management experience
- Ability to craft and communicate a vision
- Humility. We are looking for passionate professionals who combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service to join our growing family of leaders.
- Language: English required in Kenya. Swahili-speakers strongly encouraged to apply.
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible
65% Kakamega, 35% Nairobi or location of your choice
Commensurate with experience
Health insurance, housing, annual flights and other quality of life benefits.
Sponsor International Candidates
Yes; East Africans are strongly encouraged to apply.
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here.