The Product Innovations (PI) Project Specialist will work closely with Product Innovations leadership on managing and executing two high priority projects, focused on trialing new products for farmers. This trial execution management will cover all phases of research and implementation, including design, planning, execution and analysis. In the first season, this will involve execution management of delivering agroforestry seeds to 15,000+ farmers and ensuring their survival in farmers’ fields. The PI Project Specialist will also manage all trials of new products offered to farmers on loan, including the design of marketing talking points for Field Officers to farmers.
These project trials, such as delivering trees, aim to identify and then assess the most significant risks to success when offered to all One Acre Fund Tanzania farmers (40,000+). The trials involve measuring farmer impact, farmer adoption/adherence, and logistics challenges of a product when offered as a choice for purchase in a One Acre Fund loan.
The position requires at least 20% time observing and supervising field activities/farmers with the remaining time spent planning, calendaring, coordinating with other departments, creating materials, analyzing results, and preparing reports or recommendations.
This role will require the ability to manage many priorities at once and rapid progress on deliverables to meet deadlines. This position will also be responsible for the professional development of staff in a growing team.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Management: Manage simultaneous projects and staff members in line with One Acre Fund strategy while maintaining flexibility to challenges and feedback
- Draft professional analytical reports quickly (4-8 hours) with focus on actionable recommendations and few grammatical/spelling errors
- Calendar for 2+ high complexity projects for 6+ months in the future
- Understand complex topics and communicate them in a simple and concise manner
- Produce written deliverables with no revision necessary
- Problem solving: adjust plans and deliverables quickly to feedback and challenges
- Effective delegation and creation/management of staff metrics to encourage growth in their responsibilities and roles
- Weekly check-ins with 1-2 staff members, supporting them on task prioritization and planning
- Developing professional development plans for 1-2 staff members and holding them accountable to those plans
- Adopts an attitude of encouraging personal growth with humility and patience
- Proactively asks for feedback, and demonstrates ability to incorporate feedback
- Dissents in a constructive fashion and builds bridges to resolve conflicts
- Lead Project Execution on 1-2 High Complexity Products: Simultaneously manage the execution of 1 to 2 high priority and high complexity projects.
- Design and finalize farmer facing trainings and staff talking points
- Write content and select photos for marketing brochures
- Recommend staffing needs for trials
- Calendar activities, deadlines, and decision points for trials for 6+ months in the future
- Manage communication between key stakeholders and uphold consistent cross-department collaboration
- Draft and finalize reports to provide clear, succinct analysis and recommendations based on trial objectives and next steps
- Design databases for key performance indicator tracking
- Lead “Phase 3” adoption and logistics trial design and planning, including
- Navigate challenges for moving products from early phases of research into field trials, including recommendations on procurement options, package iterations, and trainings to address major behavior change.
- Select districts for trials based on objectives
- Design and finalize farmer trainings and staff talking points for trial products
- Assess farmer response to products and adjust marketing/campaign messaging accordingly
- Write content and select photos for marketing brochures
- Design data collection plan and key performance indicators based on trial objectives
- Troubleshoot challenges in Field Officer marketing, delivery, and use
- Calendaring of activities, deadlines, and decision points for trials
Career Growth and Development
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. Your manager will invest significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new high-level roles opening up and opportunities in many functions. This results in fast career growth for our staff.
We are seeking an exceptional professional with 3-5 years of work experience and ideally a demonstrated passion for international development. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Graduate of 4-year university (mandatory)
- Graduate degree (preferred)
- Personal or professional experience with agronomy and/or rural livelihoods (preferred)
- 3-5 years practical experience working on project management (mandatory), including preferred experience with:
- Managing project calendars
- Writing trainings for field-based staff
- Drafting surveys for field data collection
- Data analysis leading to specific recommendations
- Report writing based on clear objectives
- Creating Excel tools for clear communication and tracking of projects
- Proven ability to teach/mentor others
- Fluency in Microsoft Excel and Word
- Comfort and sensitivity working in a multicultural environment
- Excellent ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing
- Open to feedback, willing to admit mistakes and learn from them
- Typing speed needs minimal improvement, at least 25-30 words per minute
- Fluent Business and Conversational English
- Ability to live and work in Iringa and/or Mbeya region
- Strong work experiences. Examples include a demanding professional work experience, or successful entrepreneurial experience (e.g. leading a conference, or starting a business).
- Leadership experience at work, or outside of work
- We are looking for passionate professionals who combine strong leadership skills with patience and a humble approach to service to join our growing family of leaders.
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible
Commensurate with experience
Health insurance, paid time off
Sponsor International Candidates
Tanzanians are strongly encouraged to apply.