About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. We provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural trainings to improve harvests. We measure our success by our ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
We are growing quickly. We currently serve more than 800,000 farm families in Eastern and Southern Africa, with more than 7,500 full-time staff, and we aim to serve 1 million farm families by 2020.
The Ethiopia country program is anticipating rapid scale-up of its tree program in the next few years, and our vision is to be the most impactful and efficient tree planting organization in Ethiopia. In our second year of the tree program, we are serving 64 nursery entrepreneurs and 25,000 farm families, employing more than 50 full-time staff. By 2023, we aim to serve 200,000 farmers in several new geographic areas - striving to create $15 million of impact for clients by end of 2020.
Co-Lead the Ethiopia Program
- The Deputy Country Director (“DCD”) is the co-leader of One Acre Fund Ethiopia. You report into the Country Director (“CD”), and we envision you to be a true partner who works hand in hand with the CD through strategy and vision and you feel a strong ownership of our program impact and results across all areas of operations.
- By constantly identifying and prioritizing opportunities for program improvement and by providing constructive feedback, you push the entire team, including the CD, to dream bigger, execute better and maximize our Social Return on Investment (“SROI”).
- You step up to fill critical leadership needs in various departments and you represent country leadership in a variety of settings.
- You’re a thought partner to the CD on the Ethiopia team structure and workload balancing. Together you critically evaluate our staffing structure in the light of country priorities so that we always solve for the most important challenges and opportunities that One Acre Fund -Ethiopia is faced with.
- You work closely with the CD and team leads to build One Acre Fund into the employer of choice for top Ethiopian talent.
- Together with country leadership and key deputies, you set and steer the course for One Acre Fund Ethiopia 5 Year Plan aiming to maximize the long-term impact we can create for farmers all over Ethiopia - whilst minimizing our donor deficit.
- You push our teams to set, achieve and monitor their objectives and key results (OKRs) that are aligned with division and country objectives and the five-year strategy.
- Together with key leaders, you build up our Leadership Committee to become a transparent and efficient decision-making body of the organization, which is focused on setting high level annual goals as well as creating long-term strategy.
- Given excellent performance, the DCD is the direct succession plan to the CD.
Lead Tree Program Impact and Growth
- Your role will evolve over time depending on internal and external conditions - the CD and DCD are expected to drive farmer impact, cost efficiency and team satisfaction, as such you will be directly responsible for our core program.
- In 2018, our Agroforestry Program grew from serving 800 farmers to 9735 farmers. We grew rapidly in order to rigorously test several innovative tree production methods and now we intend to bring our field operations up to a higher level of excellence so that we don’t miss out on the vast opportunity that trees offer to Ethiopian farmers. Therefore - your first priority as you join our team, is to lead our Agroforestry Field Team to fantastic results!
- You are expected to quickly build an understanding of our farmers, staff and program needs. By leveraging your excellent project and people management skills - as well as your ability to prioritize the most impactful work - you will drive us towards better and simpler strategies, that are executed with excellence.
- Field staff performance is a top priority and you will collaborate with local and international stakeholders to explore powerful strategies to create a step change in our field staff’s performance and building a strong culture of Farmers First within the team.
- More concretely - you will be directly responsible to:
- Lead Field Program Design which includes, but is not limited to, coaching your team to create simple yet powerful impact, adoption/marketing and expansion tools, trainings and tactics that are informed by rigorous data analysis, the local environment and cross-country insights.
- Lead Field Operations to excellent execution by efficiently and effectively implementing improvements and simplifications to the program’s design and by ensuring better HQ-field communication, calendaring, culture and management systems.
- Lead Field Team Leadership Development to steadily strengthen our field team into a body of leaders that we can call on for rapid expansion down the road.
- Lead Program Innovation which may include trialing radical ideas in program design, new tree species, the use of technology and/or lead us towards a closer integration with our seed multiplication program.
Lead and Learn Departments
- The OAF-Ethiopia team is small but dynamic, and we expect no less from the DCD. You will rotate through department leadership positions in order to deepen your understanding and context of One Acre Fund in Ethiopia, which will ultimately lead you to accelerated leadership potential.
- In these 3-6+ month rotations, you tackle key strategic initiatives and learn the “field” of different departments. During rotations, you might revise our HR manual, research new seed varieties, develop a staff inclusion program, improve our audit compliance, build up a deputy, improve our logistics systems or be a thought partner on government relations strategy.
- During these rotations, we expect you to establish and cultivate strong relationships with your staff to ensure a sense of community and that all staff can maximize their career performance and job satisfaction as part of the One Acre Fund team.
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are seeking one exceptional professional(s) with 6+ years of work experience and ideally a demonstrated passion for our mission. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- You are a mission-driven individual that can align 100% with OAF’s values in putting farmers first.
- You have 6+ years of professional experience and can demonstrate exceptional results. Relevant experience includes:
Leading position in One Acre Fund (or similar organization) Field Operations in another country.
- Private sector business, start-up or government work in the agriculture sector of a developing country.
Agricultural or Agroforestry work experience - preferably in Ethiopia or East Africa.
- You have 3+ years team management experience with strong examples of people development and performance management.
- You can easily oscillate between ensuring the details of quality work and strategic thinking and vision communication
- You enjoy problem-solving and working in a fast-paced and high-stakes environment
- Strong general management skills and ability to manage a wide range of topics across different, cross-cultural teams.
- You have demonstrated good skill in dealing with external stakeholders and are excited to work in partnership with government.
- Strong educational background; degrees in agriculture, natural resources, economics, management or international development preferred
- Language: English required. Amharic a plus.
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible.
Commensurate with experience.
Health insurance, housing, and comprehensive benefits
Sponsor International Candidates
Yes. Ethiopian candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here.