The Finance Advisory Services (FAS) team is made up of in-country and global associates that are the trusted advisors to executive teams for financial sustainability. Taking vast amounts of financial intelligence from budgets, spending patterns and projected work plans, FAS provides concise, actionable advice around how to allocate our resources to best achieve the country’s scale and impact goals. The goal of our small group of financial consultants is maximum effective impact. We are looking for a leader to take our financial strategy to the next level.
This position reports to the Sr. Director of FAS. There is potential for this position to be scoped at a higher level (Manager rather than Associate) depending on experience. If so, additional responsibilities may include more active relationship management; management responsibilities for key deputies; increased scope of goal-setting and strategy-shaping for the organization.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Consult on Long-Term Financial Strategy. We use long-term planning to chart a path to sustainable growth for our nine countries of operation. You will advise the organization on the strategic planning process and push for the right balance between impact ($ that a farmer earns), scale (# of farm families we serve), and sustainability ($ it costs us to serve a farmer). You will focus One Acre Fund on the right financial metrics, propose better structures for growth, proactively mitigate risks, and promote a culture that maximize $ impact / $ spent through your recommendations and analysis.
- Advising our Executive Group. You will work directly with key leaders such as the CFO and our executive group to advice on key financial questions and one-off analysis. This will include creating frameworks, materials, and presentations for our leadership meetings to drive forward with decisions.
- Help Standardize Org-Wide Financial Decisions. You will develop best practices and standardizations for diverse projects throughout the organization such as pricing, expansion, target setting, management structure, R&D trials, etc. You will work through the FAS team to improve operational decisions.
- Deliver Insightful Analysis to Our Leadership Team. We are regularly confronted with key strategic projects that are outside of our team’s traditional work streams. You would produce easy-to-read reports and simple models to guide key decisions. This encompasses a broad array of issues from (logistics spend / $ kg, to $ per employee, to the implications of a centralized innovation pipelines) that maximizes impact. Examples would include but are not limited to: competitors analysis, correlating maize yields to operational performance, helping org-wide departments increase their strategies, and etc.
- Support Our Country FAS Teams. You will work across 9 countries on different projects to support the in-country FAS leads on individual projects. Examples of this could include: Finding buyers for excess inventory, negotiating key banking relationships, filling in for in-country FAS staff on key deliverables, and advising our new country teams on general strategy, etc.
- Potential for Secondments Across the Team. For periods of time, you will spend time seconded to different country times to tackle individual projects of particular importance to the organization.
- Note: This role does not manage the payment, accounting, or treasury functions which operate independently. This role uses the advice and data from these teams to influence executive decisions.
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are looking for truly extraordinary candidates with 2-5+ years of experience that will help take our organization to the next levels of impact and scale. Successful candidates will likely have progressively increasing responsibilities in management consulting or finance, e.g. as an engagement manager or project leader. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Demonstrated ability in strategic and consulting contexts, e.g. working with C-suite leaders, change management, or long-term planning
- Strong financial modeling expertise (Excel) that shows a strong confidence with numbers and an ability to provide quick, insightful recommendations
- Extremely strong written and oral communication, with an emphasis on clearly explaining financials to an audience with widely varying levels of expertise and interests.
- Ability and drive to work independently, while effectively prioritizing potentially conflicting demands from various executives.
- Strong educational background.
- Language: English required. Swahili a plus. French a plus.
Preferred start date
As soon as possible.
Flexible. Nairobi or Kigali preferred.
Commensurate with experience.
Health insurance, housing, annual flights and other quality of life benefits.
Sponsor International Candidates
East Africans strongly encouraged to apply.
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here.