The Government Relations and Policy team works with governments at local and national levels to advocate on behalf of One Acre Fund clients. The team builds relationships with government officials to keep them informed about our work, ensures we comply with all laws related to our field work, and creates opportunities to better serve our clients. The team also advocates across Africa and the United States to improve policies that benefit smallholder farmers.
The East Africa Government Relations Manager will lead a team in Kenya and Tanzania as One Acre Fund expands into new geographies and innovates new ways to serve smallholder farmers.
- Manage a team of 18+ Government Relations staff with relationship management and compliance portfolios at local and national levels, and directly manage two high capacity government relations analysts in Kenya and Tanzania respectively
- Execute on the Government Relations strategy and be a strategic thought-partner for the team director
- Oversee organizational risk management on key issues related to political and bureaucratic trends, and work closely with several government and parliamentary consultants towards this objective
- Mentor individual staff members to become stronger leaders and more effective Government Relations professionals
- Support the execution of innovative champion-building strategies; identify new opportunities to work with highest level political and executive leadership
- Provide clear analysis and recommendations to One Acre Fund field leadership on core programmatic tasks like expansion planning, trials, research, and repayment
- Ensure all required licenses and regulatory approvals are secured for the complete portfolio of products, including pilot programs like nutrition and direct giving
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are seeking exceptional candidates with 5+ years work experience and a demonstrated passion for our mission. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- 5+ years' experience working with governments on behalf of companies or non-profits
- Significant experience working in international development or related sectors, ideally in work that touches on the private sector or social enterprises.
- Demonstrated experience in managing large, multi-country teams with varied professional development needs.
- Strong relationship manager with experience in identifying and securing advocates across a number of African governments
- Ability to work collaboratively across multiple country offices and departments -- remote workplace experience preferred
- Energy and flexibility -- we're looking for candidates who show a passion for this work and who thrive in fast-changing management and government environments.
- Willingness to travel regularly from field offices.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Languages: English required; Swahili highly desirable.
Preferred Start Date
Nairobi -- working from Tanzania (based in Iringa) for 3-4 months in the first year
Full-time job; long-term commitment.
Commensurate with experience.
Health insurance, housing, annual flights, and other quality of life benefits.
Sponsor International Candidates
All expressions of interest will be strictly confidential.