One Acre Fund began in Kenya and Kenya is now one of our largest and fastest-growing countries of operation. Our vision for 2030 is to end hunger in Kenya and provide a pathway to prosperity for every farm family in the nation. One Acre Fund Kenya is transitioning from a start-up to a mature operation – and we need additional high performing staff members to continue our strong growth trajectory. Working with our Kenya team presents the opportunity to build upon our strong operational foundations and explore new ways to impact our well-established network of hundreds of thousands of farm families.
The People Innovations Associate’s responsibilities would include, but not be limited to:
Strategy & Vision
- Together with global and Kenya leadership, contribute to setting a clear vision and set of priorities for team culture, diversity, and inclusion within the Kenya program.
- Gather team feedback on ways we can make One Acre Fund an exceptional place to work. Turn that feedback into a clear project pipeline to help ensure we are meeting our career promises to all staff and driving forward career opportunities across our team.
- Drive forward the results of two our key objectives for the long-rain 2019 season:
- We have a clear, shared vision for team culture and are actively working towards it.
- Every staff member at every job grade knows how they are performing against expectations in their current role.
- Scope and implement high-priority projects relating to team culture, Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) and People Ops.
- Create and maintain a key set of team metrics to measure our impact on staff satisfaction, culture, and D&I.
- Work with key stakeholders to execute and monitor projects, ensuring successful outcomes in creating a more positive, inclusive team culture.
- Some initial projects the People Innovations Associate will work on include:
- Standardized pay grade definitions: Work closely with department heads to ensure pay grade definitions clearly articulate the scope and responsibilities of roles at each level. Work with leadership to create plans for introducing the updated definitions to their teams.
- People support hub: Create a People support hub for all staff which links to all HR, Training, and Corporate Operations policies, tools, and documents.
- Onboarding review: Review how new staff are onboarded in Kenya. Create a more robust onboarding to ensure all new staff: 1. have clarity on OAF’s approach to career growth and professional development, 2. know how to access key project and management tools, and 3. are able to effectively contribute to OAF’s shared vision of culture.
- Build career clarity across the Kenya program: The People Division will play an important role to ensure there is career clarity for all staff, at all levels. For example, this could include rolling-out an updated performance review system, ensuring managers are meeting minimum standards, and implementing strategies for increasing career conversations across the organization.
- Proactively and effectively communicate up to country leadership, down to departments, and across to other colleagues.
- Be the key point person for all global D&I and culture initiatives, ensuring a Kenya perspective is included in project scoping as well as initiatives are rolled-out successfully in-country.
- Deliver regular culture, diversity, and inclusion communication to the Kenya team, ensuring your message is clear and the wider team aligns around key goals for these areas.
- Write and lead trainings related to culture and D&I to create positive behavior change across the team.
Team & Culture
- Serve as a leader and role model to the Kenya team at large. Model the One Acre Fund values, invest in people, and engage across the team.
- Manage and create feedback channels to ensure all staff groups can be heard and receive clear communication from country leadership. Keep pulse on team feedback and concerns.
- The ideal candidate will be able to relate well to staff at all levels, mediate conflict, and discuss staffing issues effectively with leadership.
Career Growth and Development
One Acre Fund invests in building management and leadership skills. Your manager will invest significant time in your career development. We provide constant, actionable feedback delivered through mentorship and through regular management consulting-style career reviews. We also have regular one-on-one meetings, where we listen to and discuss career goals, and work collaboratively to craft roles that each person can be passionate about. Because of our rapid growth, we constantly have new high-level roles opening up and opportunities in many functions. This results in fast career growth for our staff.
We are seeking an exceptional professional with 2+ years of work experience and ideally a demonstrated passion for international development. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- At a minimum, a Bachelor’s degree is required for this position with strong demonstrated previous work experience.
- Strong work experiences. Examples include a demanding professional work experience, or successful entrepreneurial experience, e.g. starting a field program in a developing country, leading a conference, starting a business, solid Volunteer Service Organization accomplishments.
- Leadership experience at work, or outside of work.
- Humility. We are looking for passionate professionals who combine strong leadership skills with good humor, patience, and a humble approach to service to join our growing family of leaders.
- A willingness to commit to living in Kakamega, Kenya for at least two years – this is a long-term, career-track role.
- Language: English required, Kiswahili fluency a plus.
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible
Commensurate with experience
75% Kakamega, 25% Nairobi or location of your choice
Health insurance, housing, annual flights and other quality of life benefits
Sponsor International Candidates
Yes. East Africans are strongly encouraged to apply.
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here.