This year alone, One Acre Fund will purchase over 77,000 metric tons of agricultural goods in addition to over 400,000 solar lights and other life improving goods amounting to $64 million in spend. With that $64 million investment into high quality inputs, we generate an average of $130 of impact per farmer. A major part of that impact comes from our ability to deliver high quality seed, fertilizer and solar lights on time, every time.
We have ambitious goals to scale our program and deliver more impact to farm families over the next 10 years, meaning the volumes of inputs we purchase will increase by 20-25% each year without commensurate global inputs team growth. We are looking for ways to continuously eliminate waste from the value chain to save costs for our clients and improve operational efficiencies so that our team can deliver on the organization’s growing expectations without growing our team at the same fast pace.
We are looking for a Global Sourcing Manager to oversee all Global Inputs product sourcing & international logistics. This person will take ownership for developing world class leaders, maintaining ongoing execution excellence, and improving purchasing processes to drive increased efficiency and reduced waste. We are looking for someone who is excited about finding innovative solutions to delivering over 77,000 metric tons of inputs this year to 6 countries of operations while foreseeing and mitigating risks that could cause delays; someone who is passionate about developing strong leaders around them as we prepare for working at an increasingly larger scale; someone who will deliver increased efficiency and professionalism at the feet of over 615,000 farm families; someone who is meticulous when it comes to details and will ensure no balls get dropped when it comes to order processing. In this role, success literally means generating measurable impact for the farmers we serve and simultaneously driving sustainable growth across the organization.
Responsibilities of the Global Sourcing Manager will include:
- Source life improving inputs on behalf of smallholder farmers – the buck stops with you when it comes to delivering high quality goods on time, every time:
- Making sure goods are delivered to country warehouses on time, every time by managing seasonal purchasing work across product categories
- Working with product leads to negotiate best possible prices & follow ethical and transparent supplier selection processes for goods and logistics services
- Provide supplier relationship management support to your direct reports for increasingly improved service from top suppliers
- Working with product leads & key stakeholders to develop a purchasing strategy that minimizes over-delivery & stock outs
- Developing LTAs with 3PLs & key goods suppliers to shorten lead times & guarantee best pricing
- Ensuring internal processes and country regulations are consistently & accurately followed
- Building outstanding communication channels to deliver process transparency to your internal clients
- Be the go-to on industry developments, pricing, and historical trends
- Improve processes to drive waste out of the supply chain:
- Work with product leads to foresee and mitigate challenges across value chain to ensure timely deliveries & eliminate potential waste – 1 way to do this is to prepare pre- and post-mortem documents to prepare for and evaluate performance and risk mitigation strategies
- Track key performance indicators for product deliveries and make changes to sourcing/ordering processes driven by KPI results
- Identify opportunities to reduce spend in our supply chain processes w/ a focus on reducing waste in international logistics, supplier partnerships or LTAs, and reduced repetition & movement across the value chain – you have the goal of reducing spend by 3% each year
- Ensure all product teams have well documented, standard SOPs that are managed & kept up to date for ease of repetition & transferability
- Deliver a quality guarantee to our clients by overseeing quality assurance measures for every product:
- Quality checks at every vulnerable point across the value chain
- Testing all fertilizer & seed before purchase and distribution to clients
- Requesting quality assurance documentation from suppliers
- Allocating resources where applicable to visit producers in person to quality check production
- Team Management & Leadership Development:
- Motivate your team around our organizational mission & their interests – it’s your job to identify & nurture your reports’ intrinsic motivations
- Develop world class supply chain leaders through regular capacity building, mentorship, and stretch opportunities
- Set ambitious, achievable goals for your direct reports and hold them accountable
- Identifying strong talent pools for recruiting high quality supply chain staff
- Become familiar with One Acre Fund teams and structures to ensure your team is effectively supporting their internal clients including Finance and Logistics
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are seeking professionals with experience in and a passion for procurement and supply chain. Experience in an entrepreneurial environment is a plus.
Candidates that meet the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Undergraduate degree from a recognized academic institution required
- Minimum B- in KCSE or equivalent & second class upper degree in University or equivalent
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a demanding professional environment
- Willingness to travel frequently Across Eastern Africa
- Experience in operations, supply chain, logistics, procurement, or a related field preferred, but not required
- Outstanding demonstrated computer skills in email, internet usage, Microsoft Office – you will be expected to independently produce high quality, well formatted excel, word, and PPT deliverables regularly
- Outstanding communication skills with direct reports, peers, management, and suppliers
- Creativity and strong problem solving skills. You don’t take no for an answer and constantly look for alternative solutions to problems
- Strong attention to detail – you can pick out a mistake in a contract from a mile away
- Strong quantitative reasoning skills – you can QC contracts, POs, and orders effectively without support
- Professional maturity and ability to stay calm under stress
- A passion for world class customer service
- Proven ability to set and meet targets
- Ability to work independently and make decisions
- Strong work ethic and ability to handle a demanding, high pressure work environment
- Strong sense of accountability and responsibility
- Strong sense of ethics, honesty, and integrity
- Fluent in English (Swahili and French preferred)
Preferred Start Date
Commensurate with experience
Health insurance, housing, annual flights, and other quality of life benefits
Sponsor International Candidates
East Africans strongly encouraged to apply.
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here.