About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. We provide quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural trainings to improve harvests. We measure our success by our ability to make farmers more prosperous: On average, farmers harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
We are growing quickly. We currently serve more than 800,000 farm families in Eastern and Southern Africa, with more than 7,500 full-time staff, and we aim to serve 1 million farm families by 2020.
We firmly believe that our people are the single most-important element in determining One Acre Fund’s long-term success. The job of the Global Human Resources Director is to ensure performance, motivation, and overall well-being of these people.
The Global Human Resources Director is expected to become the face of HR, both within One Acre Fund and when liaising with external stakeholders. The main component of this role includes managing and developing a team of 12 globally based HR professionals. The role also encompasses leading a number of strategic HR initiatives that promise to advance our goal of making One Acre Fund the employer of choice in international development.
The main job duties are as follows:
Team Leadership & Management
- Provide oversight and assume responsibility for the performance of the day-to-day operations of the Global HR department.
- Direct management responsibility for three to four high level deputies including the responsibility to develop them into HR thought leaders at One Acre Fund.
- Define annual and long-term goals of the Global HR department, secure executive buy-in and ensure alignment with the strategies of other teams and the organization as a whole.
- Measure success against goals, regularly report on progress, and hold the team accountable for prioritizing and delivering results in key strategic areas.
- Be an ambassador to staff, represent leadership, and defend executive decisions.
- Actively conceptualize and lead initiatives reducing overhead costs through aligning departmental scope with organizational needs.
- Motivate your team, hold your team accountable to shared goals, identify lessons learned, and celebrate team successes.
- Work closely with our finance team and your deputies to determine an annual department budget.
Project Leadership & Process Improvements
- Actively conceptualize and lead initiatives aimed at improving efficiency of processes within the Global HR department.
- Lead the implementation of a system that allows One Acre Fund to effectively and efficiently track and analyze data related to employee lifecycles with a particular focus on staff performance management.
- Partner with in-country HR teams to create and implement global and country level HR specific trainings and training calendars, including conducting training of trainers for in-country HR teams as needed.
Cooperation & Advisory
- Create and maintain close cooperation and ensure bi-directional feedback with other One Acre Fund HR leaders at the country program level.
- Ensure that each country program HR team fulfills a set of baseline requirements. Regularly audit local HR processes against these requirements.
- Provide advice to senior One Acre Fund leadership; lead or actively support HR-related projects that are directly derived from One Acre Fund’s organizational strategy.
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are seeking an exceptional professional with several years of Human Resources leadership experience ideally within the context of social businesses or nonprofits with a sub-Saharan Africa based workforce.
The ideal candidate possesses the following qualities and experience:
- 8+ years of experience as an HR team leader or HR business partner, serving a workforce in rural and urban locations in sub-Saharan Africa.
- At a minimum, a Bachelor’s degree is required for this position.
- Excellent knowledge of HR processes and procedures, including but not limited to performance management, HR information system, employment law, and international payroll.
- Superior analytical ability and communication skills.
- A highly structured approach to work that allows to effectively maneuver through a fast-paced, results-oriented work environment.
- Languages: English required; Swahili and/or French preferred.
- A passion for One Acre Fund’s program and the desire to advance our mission based on a genuine and humble commitment to serving the poor.
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible to allow for training and overlap with the current director.
Commensurate with experience
Health insurance, housing, and comprehensive benefits
Sponsor International Candidates
East Africans are strongly encouraged to apply.
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here.