The Tanzania Procurement team is responsible for all purchases that keep our program running for nearly 40,000 smallholder farmers. We are seeking a team lead to manage the Tanzania Procurement team, implement standardized processes, execute with sustained quality improvements, and drive 5% of purchasing cost out of the system.
You will coordinate across teams at One Acre Fund Tanzania to maintain the consistent flow of purchasing information and ultimately deliver a world class purchasing department at the feet of our ~40,000 farmers across rural Tanzania.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Mentoring a 5-6 person team consisting of purchasers, print officers, stores/QC officers
- Coaching purchasers to identify high quality, high level suppliers and how to negotiate for best pricing and terms
- Working with multi-national staff and suppliers
- Identifying opportunities to grow the team and working with manager on recruitment of strong local talent
Defined Processes and Team Vision
- Implementing procurement mechanisms and systems by incorporating procurement best practices and identifying strong, long-term supplier relationships
- Mapping out current procurement practices on the Tanzania team to identify and implement cost- and time-saving improvements.
- Standardize practices to improve efficiency, effectiveness, and customer service
- Set a 0-6 month vision for the procurement team to realize 5% cost savings across items, communicate realistic lead times to requestors, and deliver with 95% accuracy in quality and timeliness
- Build excellent inventory , quality assurance & print management systems to support procurement operations
Manage day to day purchasing Execution
- Triaging requests as they come in to assess lead times and project possible delays and challenges
- Running quarterly forecasting activities across teams to come up with a quarterly procurement plan
- Maintaining accurate procurement data in the SAP system
- Working closely with logistics teams to minimize delivered costs
- Working closely with other internal teams to reduce overall spend
- Maintaining and improving procurement process transparency
Manage procurement support functions
- Overseeing execution of strong inventory management practices in procurement stores – including data management, best practices etc.
- Managing a high performing in-house print unit to undertake both internal and client-facing mass print jobs
- Developing best practices for mitigating risk to One Acre Fund through enhanced quality assurance mechanisms for procurement material
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are seeking exceptional professionals with experience in supply chain, operations management or procurement. Experience in an entrepreneurial environment and/or a passion for managing execution is a plus.
Candidates that meet the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Work experience in a demanding professional environment, preferably in positions where frequent cross-department communication was required
- At least 2 years of people or project management experience at work or outside of work
- Creativity and strong problem solving skills a must. You don’t take no for an answer and constantly look for alternative solutions to problems.
- Able to independently structure analyses related to procurement subject matter
- A passion for world class customer service
- Strong communication skills with suppliers, reports, peers and management
- Ability to work and make decisions independently
- Demonstrated experience in managing an execution-focused team is a plus
- Some experience in procurement/supply chains preferred
- Strong computer skills in at least Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint required, experience using SAP preferred
- Bachelors degree from an accredited university
- Language: Fluent in English and Swahili required
Preferred Start Date
Commensurate with experience
Note: We are not able to sponsor a visa for this position.