We are looking for driven, strategic problem-solvers dedicated to social impact to join One Acre Fund’s Internal Consulting Team (ICT). ICT is responsible for sharpening the organization’s strategy and for supporting other One Acre Fund teams at key junctures where additional analytical resources could have an outsized impact for the organization. Above all we are seeking skilled professionals capable of delivering high-quality work in a flexible and independent manner, supporting teams across the organization on a wide range of project types.
A sample of recent Internal Consulting Team work includes:
- Shaping One Acre Fund’s expansion strategy -To help the Kenya program hit its ambitious farmer growth targets, an analyst was challenged to develop a rigorous and scalable approach to program expansion. After the initial design, the analyst embedded with the Kenya program expansion team for 3-6 months to implement the plan with quantitative and qualitative analysis, field survey design and analysis, financial modeling, as well as a political and security risk assessment. This model was then rolled out across all countries’ Field Operations teams, helping to bring OAF closer achieving its 2020 target of reaching one million farmers.
- Building a customer protection dashboard - To better understand how well we are doing protecting our clients, team members collaborated to develop a customer protection dashboard. They used an online software to summarize results in real-time from numerous customer protection surveys that captured data at a national, district and site level. The dashboard has enabled our in-country Field teams to roll-out targeted interventions to improve our customer protection practices and ensure we truly are putting farmers first.
- Conducting a Kenya program health check-up - A manager recently conducted a “health check-up” of our Kenya program in order to proactively identify and resolve risks, independently examining a number of programmatic areas including management quality, hiring standards, and team culture and morale. The final prioritized list of synthesized takeaways and actionable recommendations helped the Kenya leadership team improve the program’s overall efficiency and positively influence staff experience.
- Coordinating the Country Directors Working Group -Our Country Directors meet periodically in a working group that generates coherent guidance for country programs and shares cross-country knowledge. An ICT manager sets the working group’s agenda, structures topic discussions and decisions, and helps to connect the group to org-wide goals.
- Connecting farmers to markets in Zambia - An ICT analyst is currently designing and implementing a market access intervention to help provide more consistent impact for farmers in Zambia. The project began with a comprehensive scan of market access interventions trialed by One Acre Fund and other organization to develop a set of best practices and recommended designs. After selecting a design to pursue, the analyst traveled to Zambia to work closely with the team to implement a market access intervention trial for maize and soybeans.
We are hiring for two different levels:
Analysts take full ownership of projects, from planning through execution and follow-up. They manage anywhere from 1-3 projects at any given time, are typically responsible for at least one other team-specific initiative, and are expected to be able to tackle any type of project – from quantitative modeling to primary research – with a relentless focus on solving the problem at hand. Experienced Analysts are sometimes also asked to take on direct management responsibilities for one of our Strategy & Research Junior Analysts and help grow them into exceptional Analysts.
Managers do the same type of critical work as analysts at a higher complexity, while also investing meaningfully in building staff capacity through direct management responsibilities and serving on the ICT Leadership Team. Managers are often responsible for launching key initiatives across multiple countries, managing the rollout of high-priority programs in several departments, and maintaining close working relationships with some of our senior leaders. They also work with the ICT Director to set and implement strategy for the team, identify and resource projects, and ensure team development and satisfaction.
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are looking for extraordinary professionals who will help take One Acre Fund to the next levels of impact and scale. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Strong work experiences: We are looking for candidates with a proven track record of solving complex, ambiguous problems in a structured way (e.g., management consultants, research managers, business analysts). Ideally 2-4 years of experience for analysts, 4-8 years of experience for managers.
- Ultimately, we are looking for the ability to take a complex question, identify the most efficient route to a useful solution, and structure the work into manageable milestones
- We also look for leadership experiences, in or outside of work, particularly in roles that demonstrate relationship management and driving results
- Bonus for previous work experience directly serving executive-level leadership
- Professional/technical skills
- Analysts are expected to have advanced proficiency in both Excel and PowerPoint. Experience with other professional programs (e.g. R, STATA, Access) is a plus
- Managers should have demonstrated experience in project management, capacity building, and professional development of others
- Outstanding responsiveness to feedback: we firmly believe that ability to act on both reinforcing and redirecting feedback is the fastest way to grow. As a team, we give and expect to receive open and frank feedback, both to our reports and to our managers. Candidates should exhibit an ability to take feedback as a chance to improve, and know how to give feedback in a constructive manner.
- At a minimum, a Bachelor’s degree is required for this position.
- Language: English fluency required; proficiency in any languages spoken in East Africa is a bonus
Preferred Start Date
East Africa capital city, with preference for Nairobi, Kenya. However, strong candidates could be based in Kigali, after an initial 3-6 month period in Nairobi.
Commensurate with experience
Health insurance, housing, annual flights, and other quality of life benefits
Sponsor International Candidates
East African applicants strongly encouraged to apply.
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here.